Skinnysimplerecipes top

August 06, 2012

Ground Beef Feta inspired Turkish “Gozleme”

Every year, we like to attend different festivals in Calgary. We especially never miss the Turkish Festival in July. Nice music and great food.

Source:http://www.calgaryturkishfestival.com/

My daughter enjoys traditional Turkish food; Beef, lamb and sausage (Sujuk) sandwiches. We order one sandwich of each and then we share. So delicious!! For dessert, her favourite is Baklava.

We also had Lamb Gozleme; it is a traditional Turkish hand made fresh pastry, filled and sealed then cooked. 
Source:http://www.calgaryturkishfestival.com/
Of course I couldn’t wait to make a skinny version at home. So instead of using flour dough, I chose whole wheat tortilla, and I did substitute extra lean ground beef for lamb. For the spices, I went for Zaatar since it goes perfectly with meat and feta cheese. Also I added some mozzarella cheese to hold the filling together.

So as you can see it’s not the traditional Turkish Gozleme, looks more like a quesadilla...I just got inspired!!



Ingredients: (Makes 6)

1 lb extra lean ground beef
½ medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp Zaatar, or more
Or ½ tbsp each dried thyme and sesame seeds
8 oz feta cheese
½ cup shredded low fat mozzarella
6 large whole wheat tortillas

Directions:

Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add ground beef and stir until evenly browned.

Season the mixture with zaatar (or thyme) and little salt to taste.

Spray a large frying pan or griddle with cooking spray (that is optional as I don’t spray my pan). Heat up tortilla from both sides until air pockets form. Sprinkle then some mozzarella cheese, add a thin layer of ground beef and top with feta cheese.

Wait until cheese has melted and lift up one side of the tortilla and flip it over the other side. Keep flipping the quesadilla or "gozleme" until browned from both sides.

Remove from pan and cut into wedges.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful. I would have loved to have attended the festival. Turkish food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun!!!

    I've nominated you for the "Liebster Award"! Check it out, and thanks for having a great blog :)
    http://wp.me/p1ZUgD-yi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth for the Liebster Award nomination. It just makes me feel proud of my blog!!I would be posting my answers to your questions soon.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you c4reated another fantastic recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...